When it comes to your garden, you want to make the most of the space you have and get it looking its best.
Unfortunately, due to a lack of time or a green thumb, many people can’t nurture it to that level… That’s where landscape gardeners come in.
A landscape gardener is a professional who can work towards fulfilling all of your garden needs and goals. But if you have never hired a gardener or have had a bad experience it can be hard to know where to find one.
We know we do a good job, but we have many clients who go through a few companies before they get to us because they haven’t done their research properly.
That’s why we have created this short guide on how to find the best landscape gardeners in Perth so that you can find the perfect fit for your garden.
Let’s get to it!
Decide what services you need from your landscape gardeners
First things first, you need to know what it is you want with your garden in the big picture; is it just a clean-up or total makeover? Will you need regular maintenance or take care of it yourself?
We recommend sitting down with a piece of paper and writing down all of your current gardening needs and future plans. Whether it’s a new patio, plant work or a decision to switch to artificial grass to cut back the garden workload, try to get into as much detail as possible.
Once you figure out what it is you want, you can more effectively find the right people for the job.
Read our blog on what to expect before a garden design to see the kinds of questions a landscape designer will ask you to consider before starting a project.
If you want on-going services, can your landscape designer recommend a trusted professional you can work with in future, or continue with the maintenance themselves?
Set a budget
When you know what you want it’s wise to determine how much you can spend on your gardening project.
Not only will this help you match someone to your price point but will also put you in a strong position to negotiate.
Start to ask friends, family, and neighbours if they have used any landscape gardeners they would recommend. A personal recommendation is a powerful tool as it’s a first-hand, trustworthy source of information.
The reality is, people, don’t recommend services or companies they have had a bad experience with.
Check online as well; does this company have good Google or Facebook reviews – or even better, both? Call multiple companies
By calling local gardening services you will get a better idea of what the company is like.
Here are some questions to ask:
- Where do you do most of your business?
- Can you tell me of any repeating customers you have?
- What is your insurance policy?
- Do you offer any guarantees on your work?
- Do you have qualified landscape gardeners – not just labour?
These are good questions to gauge a company’s reliability.
Another important practice is to check out their online presence.
It’s so easy to throw up a website nowadays you have to weed out the good from the bad, here are some things to check;
Do they have…
- A current Facebook page with photos of their work and reply quickly to contact?
- Good reviews on Google?
- Their own or just stock photos on their website?
- Run a blog which shows they know what they are talking about?
- Does their About Page show the owner, employees, and credentials/awards?
Tips and tricks
- By hiring in the winter you may be able to get a better deal as business is usually lower in this season.
- Once you get a good gardener, keep them! Be courteous, offer snacks and have a chat.
- Request the same worker each visit: this will ensure that you can build a loyal relationship with the gardener and also means that they will be aware of the specific needs your garden has.
- Pay to regularly maintain your garden: you may actually save money in the long run as they can catch minor issues before they become a major problem
Find landscape gardeners online
Here at Perth Landscaping, we take pride in delivering professional services and high-quality results to both commercial and residential clients.
If you are in need of landscape gardeners to maintain your yard in Perth please do not hesitate to contact out maintenance branch Perth Gardening.